Sunday, July 29, 2012

Announcement


Ten years ago, when a congregation member announced she just became a grandmother and another announced she was about to be one, I generated laugh by raising my hand to announce that I hoped to become a grandmother one day.

The former pastor retired from our church and I did not see him for a long time. When he decided to retire for good, he came back to attend our church. It was like old times when I saw him at the pulpit, substituting for our current pastor. I could not resist but raising my hand to announce “It has not happened yet.” He laughed and later told me, yes, he remembered and knew what I was referring to. It was about a year ago.

It was this morning when I had a chance to make a third announcement. Our former pastor was not preaching this time, but I raised my hand to announce “It finally has happened.” I preceded the announcement with a statement that it was related to the previous two announcements I’ve made while the former pastor was preaching and I was glad to see him and his wife in the congregation. I followed it up with a clarification for our current pastor and other members who were not there for the first two announcements.

People tell me it will be a wonderful experience – those who had the experience. I am full of anticipation. I will ease into the grandmother title and will allow the wonder of it all to envelop me and carry me to a brand new world.

July 29, 2012

2 comments:

  1. I cannot be happier for you, Diem Tran. You will make a great Grandma, Grandma. The best thing about being grandparents is that you can enjoy the baby at the time you choose, instead of in the middle of the night :)
    Congratulations to you and your family.
    Love
    T.A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Tuyet Anh. The problem is I won't be able to enjoy the baby at the time I choose since the baby will be in another state. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete