Friday, February 1, 2013

Poem for Grandson


This poem is dedicated to Nhỏ Con Rồng, the name I call my grandson, who was born January 19, 2013 in Austin, Texas. The first stanza refers to the night of his birth when I returned to his parents' house while he stayed at the hospital. When I got home to Virginia, the amaryllis my friend Judy gave me had bloomed three large beautiful red flowers. I took it as the sign of welcoming my grandson into the world.


 

Golden Silk Thread

I had not yet gotten home
At the street corner I just turned
And yet I began to miss you so
I’ve loved you since before your birth

Oh the big bright eyes of yours
Are as blue as the dreamy lake’s water
And from your sweet tender red lips
Of young milk the fragrance’s still strong

Sweet dreams tonight my dear little one
Together we will be in the morn’
A magical day was thus spent
A day full of glory we were blessed

As the night lulled me to sleep
I saw your face and innocent smile
My heart’s so filled with love and awe
Could have I been in heaven or not yet?

The day I left you came
To see me off at Austin airport
Now I can’t help but think of you
My love for you is overflowing day by day

On my desk the amaryllis
Has bloomed its large red flowers
I am so sure it is stretching high
To welcome you to this world of ours

Here my love to you I send
As a piece of golden silk thread
I will weave it into a poem
And  your name Nh Con Rng it dances  

2 comments:

  1. Such a sweet grandmother to such a sweet grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The grandmother's heart is as immense as an ocean, just as the mother's heart.

    ReplyDelete