Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Cô Kiều Nga


A Teacher Who Made a Difference in My Life

My high school French teacher is someone who made a difference in my life, not as much for her imparting knowledge of the French language – and she was a good teacher, but for being there for me. She filled a need I did not find elsewhere. She probably did not know how important she was to me. It does not matter that she did not know it. What is important is that she made herself available and I am thankful. I still remember her riding with me – me on my bicycle and her on her motorcycle – on our city streets, spending afternoons with me, inviting me over to dinners, and taking me to a movie. She had filled my emotional needs and given me strength, probably more than she, or even I, ever fully knew.

The amazing thing is she is still here for me after all these years. Circumstances took us away from our country and apart from each other, and we even lost touch for a large portion of our lives. She did not see my children grow up and I did not see hers become adults. But it was as though we were with each other all along. Our love and affection for each other did not fade when we finally got connected again.

My emotional need was sustained by her kindness and her love for her students in general and for me in particular. She still provides me with support, love, excitement, and fun. I cannot emphasize enough that she is the teacher who makes a difference in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment