Friday, October 5, 2018

Scandivania Trip Part 5 - Sogndal

One week after arriving Copenhagen, we set out for the most anticipated portion of the Scandinavia trip for me: Traveling through national parks and fjords. I was not disappointed. The scenery of pine forests, glaciers, mountains, and waterfalls was so beautiful. I’m so glad I took pictures, for I’d forgotten how beautiful it was until I looked at the pictures again. We had several photo stops. We stopped at a bridge that could hold a load of only ten people at a time; we had to take turn getting on the bridge and taking pictures. When we were at the village of Lom, we visited one of a few stave churches left from the medieval time. 
We had lunch of pastries and sandwiches in the village before continuing the bus trip on the narrow and curvy Sognefjellet, the highest mountain pass in Northern Europe. I was glad to be able to take pictures through the bus’ large front glass. The road through the mountain pass is so narrow. I still don’t know how two big buses can go side by side, but they did. I took a picture of a lone bicyclist on the road. Bicyclists always remind me of Tom who has done his fair share of bicycling on steep mountains. Kopi had a surprise for us at one of the stops. I believe it was at Galdhopiggen, Norway’s highest mountain in the Jotunheimen National Park, Kopi passed out shots of Aquavit to toast our trip. I later bought a bottle from the airport to take home. Kopi offered to take pictures of me. That was the second time he did. The first time was at the Vigeland Sculpture Park. I have to say we have an outstanding tour guide and a wonderful bus driver. 
We stayed at Quality Hotel in Sogndal. We walked to the water and passed by gardens of flowers and pear and apple trees fruit-bearing branches. Dinner was at the hotel. I was exhausted and did not join Kathy and Ngoan who went out to a grocery store after dinner to stock up on food for the next day’s cruise and train rides.

No comments:

Post a Comment