Monday, April 16, 2018

Springtime in a New Land


I let my feelings flow freely
As I sit by myself in an empty room
The years of innocence flash back in my mind
Of a young girl embraced in warmth and love
How I miss the time of my youth
When around a springtime meal we’d gather
As the New Year was about to begin
Food was shared and best wishes bestowed
On the altar, the incense was lit
And we had, next to it, lovingly set a plate of fruits
I had no worries
Basking in my family’s love and harmony
Suddenly a storm came and shook my being
Taking everything away but the clothes on my back
Today as I sit and watch a springtime snowfall
Can anything be as cold as the chill of my soul
Carrying the burden of being far from home
I do not know what will warm up my frozen heart


translated from Xuân Trên Đất Khách by Hoàng Phượng in the poem book of Bên Suối Trăng Mơ


No comments:

Post a Comment