Saturday, February 4, 2017

Collage 36


TTTD

This was not my first airplane flight. I am a seasoned traveler by now. It was the first time that I met the relatives in the Northwest, including Grandpa. I made sure to stay safe in Mommy’s arms and hollered very loudly if someone tried to take me away from her arms. I think that was the most effective means for letting people know what I objected to. Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t stay in Mommy’s arms the entire time. Daddy’s arms would do. And I did run around and explore Uncle Steve and Aunt Myla’s house. I loved climbing up the stairs that led to the bedrooms. Often Mommy would call out my name and ran after me and scooped me up and then I’d do it all over again. What a fun game that was. I loved the Christmas tree that twinkled and held so many pretty little things. I don’t really know what Daddy’s problem was. He got quite nervous if I came near the tree. Isn’t it normal to appreciate pretty things? I also loved the red hat with the twinkling Christmas lights and the green hat of the Grinch. I think I looked darling in either one. I enjoyed getting the attention I deserved. 

Like Drakeson, I loved Leavenworth. The best part is that I stayed toasty warm in the carrier on either Daddy’s back or Mommy’s back. Sometimes Daddy carried both Drakeson and me. I liked the huge Christmas tree in the middle of town and the strings of Christmas lights on windows and walls of every store. I enjoyed the sleigh ride that we took through the beautiful woods. Drakeson must like it, too. He didn’t cry about being cold as when we went cross-country skiing. Well, Daddy, Drakeson, and I didn’t really ski. That was the problem. Drakeson didn’t generate enough heat to stay warm. But I think he got heat pads under his socks for the sleigh ride and we had a big warm wool blanket spread over our legs. 

I feel bad for Drakeson that he didn’t quite like Wings over Washington. I got the best deal. While Drakeson went with Mommy, Ông, and Bà to see the scary show, Daddy took me to the Seattle Ferris Wheel. It was so sweet when he called it a date. And it was blissful to sit in the gondola, just Daddy and me, riding around in a big circle, up and down, up and down over and over again so many times, with the city under us. I loved it! Even more than the aquarium, or Pike Place Market, or the big ferry, or maybe even the red hat with Christmas lights, which, by the way, was broken while we were visiting. I hope that doesn’t mean I’m not welcome to Uncle Steve and Aunt Myla’s house anymore.

I’m sorry that I didn’t get to meet Grandma, but I was there at her grave, letting her know we love her and think of her.

NCR

January 2017 was a big month. For one thing, I turned four. It was super fun to finally be able to say to people “I am 1, 2, 3, 4” while raising my fingers to show what “one, two, three, four” looked like. I got to sleep in a tent in a park, which is super cool. This (my birthday) happened after our big trip to Seattle to visit my great-grandpa. I was very excited before the trip because besides seeing my great-grandpa and aunts and uncles and bà ngoại and ông ngoại, I knew I’d get to see beautiful mountains, ride a big ferry, eat the clean white snow, eat other delicious food, and have lots of fun. The trip was everything I thought it would be, and even more. Aunt Myla kept the Christmas tree up for us. Aunt Mary showed me a game with blocks. Bà let me take pictures with her camera. Everyone let me be silly. Now back home, I miss the white snow and the ferry already. I don’t remember being freezing in Leavenworth, where the temperature was in the low teens during the day, but I remember having fun in the outdoor hot tub. I want to go back. We were there for two days. We drove from Seattle through the mountains where the trees branches were white with snow. We stayed at a room that overlooked the partly frozen river. So beautiful. I tried cross-country skiing and it was frustrating. I decided that I should wait until I’m bigger to try it again and also do snow tubing. Bà, Ông, Mommy, and Daddy all took a complimentary snow tubing run. Mommy was especially good in cross country skiing, as though she’d done it all her life. I’m sure Daddy didn’t think that was fair. He loved the scenery and the local beer, though. He took some very beautiful pictures at the golf course where we skied. We enjoyed eating, shopping, and walking around to admire all the Christmas decorations in town. Mommy played the piano at one of the restaurants we ate at. We took a sleigh ride before we returned to Seattle where more adventures awaited us. I enjoyed the Pike Place Market and the Seattle Aquarium. I didn’t care so much for Wings over Washington. It helped a little bit that I sat between Mommy and Ông, but I told Mommy never to take me to something that scary again. My favorite adventure was taking the ferry and visiting a chocolate place with a painting of a Viking ship on the outside wall. It was almost magic.

My regret is that I didn’t get to see Grandma. My great-grandma passed away before our trip. Perhaps she was there when we visited her grave. Rest in peace, Grandma. (Mommy says I can call my great-grandpa “Grandpa” and great-grandma “Grandma” because there would not be any confusion.)

Seattle and Leavenworth will always hold a special place in my heart. 



No comments:

Post a Comment