Sunday, November 22, 2015

Free Gifts

So the cynics in you say there is no such thing as a free lunch. I beg to differ. My sweetheart and I enjoyed something free yesterday. And in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I want to express my gratitude to the gifts that are free to all of us.

As I called the box office of a theater in Winchester, situated at least one hour away from home, for tickets to a matinee event, the lady asked if I’d like to have some free activities thrown in as a promotion for the weekend before Thanksgiving. As one who never wants to turn down anything free, for I am my mother’s daughter, I said yes. All we had to do was to leave earlier than planned to get to the event on time, and take a detour. So we left early and took the detour. Yes, the detour cost us some time and gas money, but once we were at our destination, everything was free. It’s not like taking a cruise when you want to book an excursion, you’ll pay extra. It’s not like flying on an airplane when you want to have a meal, you’ll pay extra. It’s not like ordering a hibachi meal when you want fried rice, you’ll pay extra. It’s like enjoying God-given treasures in their pure forms, no alterations or additions needed. Although where we were, trails were cleared, bridges were built, and signs were erected to help us appreciate things more.

We were in the Elizabeth Furnace area of the Shenandoah Valley in the George Washington National Forest. We walked across the bridge to the Historic Cabin area. We took a trail that went alongside the Passage Creek and found fishermen deep in the water to their waist. We walked the Pig Iron Trail for a short while. I marveled at the things that are truly free for us to enjoy. The changes of seasons. The seasons. The cool air. The blue sky. The clear creek water. The dry leaves on the ground. The red leaves on the branches. The rocks on the path. The view. The experience.

At the end of the day, after a satisfying lunch and a good performance, as we drove home, the sky opened up to the beautiful orange color of sunset. My sweetheart drove. I closed my eyes and dozed. It was a blessing. When I woke, I silently gave thanks to the free gifts in life.







No comments:

Post a Comment